The British Council is the UK’s international organization for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country ICT Manager
Pay Band: 7
Department: Business Support Services
Job Category: IT
Role Type: Advisory, policy and expertise
Duration: Indefinite Contract
Reports to: Deputy Director Operations
- To provide visible and engaging leadership of the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) function within the British Council main offices in Nigeria, ensuring strong overall management through provision of best practice IT services and operations, team leadership, security management, business partnering and training to the IT team and wider staff body.
Main Opportunities/Challenges for this Role
The major opportunity is to reshape the British Council’s IT function in Nigeria to respond to the expansion and strategic demands of the operation. For the first year in particular:
- There is a strong opportunity to lead the transition of the IT team from a compliance-led to a business partnering function, operating from newly improved premises where all facilities and equipment are up to corporate global standards. This will involve the embedding of a new, service-driven team culture both within the IT team and through its interface with other sections.
- An associated challenge (and opportunity) is the existing software skills-base among the wider teams; many staff do not exploit O365 to its potential, do not use collaboration software effectively and are over-reliant on email for communication and project management. The post holder can therefore make a strong contribution to increased efficiency and effectiveness of the country operation through training and overseeing the uptake of more contemporary and effective ways of working.
The following years will build on the basis established for the IT function and develop it further.
Leadership of the IT function:
- Oversee best-practice performance management in the team
- Maintain a skills framework and advise on required outcomes for learning & development
- Oversee appropriate, stretching, motivating continuous professional development (CPD) among the team
- Provide mentoring or coaching to the team to ensure ongoing motivation and performance at ‘top-of-their game.
- Develop a positive team spirit, a positive motivation climate and a close, collaborative unit
- Lead and manage the team to provide a serious customer and business-support driven ethos; actively communicates the difference between this and pure technical implementation
- Play a leading role, in collaboration with colleagues and external suppliers, in the development of digital products and media for the British Council in Nigeria
Relationship and stakeholder management:
- Act as trusted advisor / business partner / consultant to other sections, becoming involved in the decision making process with colleagues in support of the business
- Support business development through solution-led design and development of IT interventions
- Provide input to strategic and business-driven decision-making for the senior team.
Interested and qualified applicants should apply